1. Root cause medicine works to identify and address:
an individual’s most fundamental, ‘deepest’ drivers of chronic illness and ongoing symptoms in order to promote healing
an individual's vulnerabilities to illness in order to prevent disease in the future
2. Correcting nutrition and lifestyle imbalances is at the core of root cause medicine because nutrition and lifestyle imbalances are usually the ‘deepest’ root cause of chronic illness and ongoing symptoms.
3. Root cause medicine appreciates that symptoms are the body communicating that there are things it needs that it is not getting and/or things it is being exposed to that may be hindering or harming it. So, we do not just silence symptoms with pills and procedures, we repair the imbalances to achieve health and healing.
4. Most chronic illness is considered a mismatch between the wild hunter-gatherer life our bodies are evolved for and the modern world we live in today. Root cause medicine uses the nutrition and lifestyle environments our bodies evolved in and are thus best adapted for (a.k.a. evolutionary medicine and ancestral health) as a guide for repairing our imbalances/mismatches.
WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT CORRECTING NUTRITION AND LIFESTYLE IMBALANCES?
1. This practice helps people identify and address their unique nutrition and lifestyle imbalances (also known as “mismatches”) so that they can start the healing process and learn how to maintain and optimize health.
We begin by asking:
what does your body need more of AND
what does your body need to get rid of
2. BENEFITS of healing via a correction of nutrition and lifestyle imbalances:
A long-term solution
No nasty side-effects
3. However... correcting imbalances is typically not a quick-fix. Just as most are not able to enter therapy and address their issues and feel better in one session, so too does root cause medicine usually require time - time to tell your story, time to learn, time to experiment with and implement new information, time to get the support you need. Although it can take time, the return on investment is high!
WHAT CAN I EXPECT FROM THE INITIAL CONSULTATION AND FOLLOW-UP SESSION?
The Initial Consultation is to assess what root cause imbalances may be leading to your specific health issues and symptoms and determine “big picture” how we will go about healing your body.
In follow-up sessions, we do the work of repairing the imbalances. If ordered, lab testing will be also be reviewed during follow-up sessions.
IS THIS PRACTICE RIGHT FOR ME?
1. The goals of this practice are to:
Heal chronic conditions and symptoms
Prevent future illness
2. This practice is great for those who:
Understand that a root cause medicine approach can often take time to see results but offers long lasting health benefits
Want to be an active participant in their healing journey
Have an excitement and curiosity to learn and understand how their body works in respect to health and healing
WHAT ARE SESSIONS LIKE?
Think less your typical transactional doctor’s appointment and more therapy style. In a transactional visit, you usually describe what’s wrong, get a diagnosis, get a treatment. In this practice, we sit together and talk so I have a deep understanding of what is going on and have time to provide education, give support, and talk you through the healing process. As with therapy, goals are met through insights, learning, and a willingness to experiment and make changes in order to see progress.
Although, labs are used when needed to help our assessment, the most powerful information often comes from your history, feedback, and experiences. Effectively gathering this information can be an ongoing process and take time.
HOW MANY SESSIONS DO YOU RECOMMEND?
The recommended number of sessions varies widely and depends on the individual person and his or her health goals. Many people need between 3-6 sessions (and often more) after the initial consultation n order to effectively address the root causes necessary to achieve optimal health and healing.
How much do sessions cost?
This practice does not participate with any health insurance plans or Medicare. Payments for sessions are via credit card or FSA (Flexible Spending Account) or HSA (Health Savings Account) cards. Click here for pricing.
Yes! This is a 100% telehealth practice. Telehealth (video) sessions are available for those residing in Florida and Virginia. These virtual sessions use a secure, HIPAA-compliant online video platform. Telehealth helps decrease the time and location barriers for individuals to get the care they need.
All you need for a virtual session is a computer, WiFi connection, and an internet browser (preferably Chrome for the most reliable connection).
DO YOU OFFER LAB TESTING?
Yes. Both standard and advanced lab testing are done as needed. Many lab tests are done with kits used at home (e.g. stool, urine, saliva, blood spot). Lab tests requiring blood draws are done either in-home or at a blood-draw facility (location-dependent).
DO YOU USE SUPPLEMENTS?
This practice focuses on promoting health and healing with nutrients from real, whole foods made by nature. The nutrients in these "nature-made" foods act in a synergistic form, where a highly complex array of cofactors and complementary nutrients are absorbed and utilized optimally. When supplements are needed, you will be directed where to purchase them. This practice does not obtain any profit from supplements that are recommended and purchased.
WHAT IS BIOFEEDBACK TECHNOLOGY?
Biofeedback technologies are a game-changer when pursuing health and healing using a nutrition and lifestyle approach. Heart rate variability (HRV) and heart rhythm coherence used in biofeedback technology are potent biomarkers for health and wellness. A variety of tools are available to help us understand where your body is at present and over time, while simultaneously using the technology to train your body for "psychophysiologic" (mind and body) optimization.
Some of the technologies I work with areHeartMath, Elite HRV and the Oura ring. I use biofeedback software in the office and guide you on the use of portable technologies that utilize either a sensor on the ear or finger and an app on your smartphone.
I am a certified HeartMath provider and have have completed coursework by Elite HRV's Elite Academy.
DO YOU OFFER WORKSHOPS?
Yes! I do a series of health and wellness workshops in the workplace and small-group workshops online as well. Please send me a message if you are interested in either a workplace or online workshop.
ARE YOU A PRIMARY CARE PROVIDER (PCP)?
This is a specialist practice and I do not function as a primary care provider. All patients must maintain a separate primary care physician.
WHAT AGES DO YOU WORK WITH?
This practice works with adults age 18 years and older